Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Sharing My Story

Blogging is so very personal.  I share my life experiences as I grow as a person – definitely nonfiction – so there is an expectation that it will be personal. 

But even fiction is personal! There is truth in it that propels the story forward. And when that kind of truth is exposed, a sort of protective mode kicks in and threatens to take over. If you’re not careful, the story may never be told.  This is when you have to remember why you began sharing in the first place. This is the turmoil that I experienced when I was taking my first steps. 


Of course I didn’t do it alone. I had an amazing crew on board, and the unwavering support of my family beside me (family and crew at times became one and the same, mind you). 

It took me two years to find the courage to share this story. And it’s just a little story – a short film. A drop of my truth in a pond that rippled into a sad tale about love, tradition and letting go.



But it took a year for me to write and re-write. It took another year to decide whether I would film it. Then it took several months of positive self-talk, research, meetings with members of my creative community, and planning before I could set my little story free. 


The excitement, the fear, the stress, the tears, and pure joy of watching it unfold in each moment is something that is only just starting to sink in.

This journey was so taxing, so beautiful, so ravishing to my soul in every positive and negative way possible. I cannot tell you what an honor it is to share this experience with you, to have you reading along, “watching” as I come into my own.




So, no matter what happens, how it turns out, or what anyone thinks of it, I bet on myself to make something happen.

I keep taking bigger chances. I keep trying. And because of my courage to share my story, I totally came out winning.  If nothing else, I hope my journey inspires you take chances in your own life. 

xo, 
Li