Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Being Certain Of Yourself

As 2013 came to a close, I met with so many great people - other actors, filmmakers, and other hyphenates like me. During one of those conversations the question was posed as to whether I ever feel like I shouldn't be doing this - shouldn't be on this path.

The answer came barreling through my mouth before my mind could really consider it. My answer was "nope." When you know, that you know, that you know you are answering your calling, there is no doubt.

I get emotional just writing this because I have really been on such a rollercoaster in life to come to this point, and it was a very small moment that opened up a great truth from my heart.

Self-doubt is natural. It happens. But we counter that darkness of mind with the light in our hearts and keep on trucking. Failure and disappointment are all part of the process. I've have been to those small towns, but those were just brief stops - never the final destination. But questioning my dharma? Apparently that's a no-brainer for me.

I basically answered that I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. I am a storyteller.

I went on to say that no matter what, I am on the right path. However that dream evolves, I know that inch by inch, step by step, I am always a little better, a little wiser, and a little closer to the next great accomplishment.


I have already "made it," in my mind, and continue to do so, because it is in the journey that we grow.

I saw the look on her face (was it awe? disbelief? was she just really listening?) and silently asked myself, "Li, is that true?" and a very loud, very certain, "yes" rumbled through me. So I sat back in my chair, responding to the look before me with a comforting smile.

God, what a moment for me.  I have those moments sometimes, where I'm like "who IS that talking?" And it's just little-ol'-me. Astonishing.

I hope this reminds you that each step you take toward your dharma is a glorious one. The inner truth that you are on the right path is not only a comfort but an all-encompassing glow that emanates from your soul. You gave yourself a YES and that is no small feat.


And if you haven't taken that first step, let 2014 be the year of great things; the year of real change; the year that you let the light in you shine through.

Astonish yourselves, my deep thinkers.  You deserve it.