Thursday, July 25, 2013

Allergies Will Not Confine Me: Six Tips To Combat Them

This post is part of a compensated conversation in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and the makers of ZYRTEC®, who asked that I share my experience with allergies and tips on combating them.






I have been told that my sneeze is loud. There's no mousy "chu" here. It's more like a "let's get ready to rumblllle!" announcement. Holy-Sneezing, Batman. 

People have given me their sympathy because the sneezes are consecutive, followed by eyes I want to rub to death and a sexy red nose. Can you picture it? That's my ALLERGY FACE. Then the sympathy turns to annoyance because I just don't shut up. The sneeze-attack usually ends with me sticking my face in the sink

This. Is. Horrible. 

But I refuse to stay indoors. I refuse to lock myself away until allergy season passes. Allergies will not confine me.

The only way to enjoy the fresh air and combat these allergies is to start my allergy regimen every morning a few weeks before Spring begins.

If I didn't take certain precautions, allergy season could easily take over my life. My preemptive morning routine includes a sink, a saline nasal wash (ooh-la-la), prescription nasal spray (as needed) and ZYRTEC.

However, this year allergy levels were super high in my area. So I added a nightly regimen to avoid ALLERGY FACE. Here are my six tips to combat allergies before you go to bed:
  1. Your Bedroom: Use an air purifier to keep the room allergen free at night;
  2. Your Bed: Make nightly changes to your pillow cover to keep your face clean;
  3. Your Hair: Wash your hair nightly with moisture-rich products to get the pollen out;
  4. Your Eyes: Use allergy eye drops to stop the itch at night;
  5. Your Nose: Use a gentle facial scrub to decrease flaking around the nose; and
  6. Your Skin: Lather on an ultra-hydrating night cream.
When I stick to my routine I look and feel less miserable. And let's face it, we look how we feel, right? A few sneezes may escape me but nothing compared to what would happen if I let the villainous ALLERGY FACE rule my world.  There's nothing sexy about allergies, but there are ways to combat and overcome them so we can look our best, get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. 


I'm not the only one with DIY tips! In fact, the makers of ZYRTEC® have partnered with beauty and fashion expert, Carmen Ordoñez from VivaFashionBlog.com, to help women combat “ALLERGY FACE™” – the beauty challenges like a puffy face, watery eyes and a red nose that are associated with typical allergy symptoms.This is because, according to a recent survey by the makers of ZYRTEC®, two-thirds (66 percent) of women with allergies have felt ugly or unattractive because of their ALLERGY FACE™.
 

Carmen Ordoñez’s personal motto is that you can look great without breaking the bank.  You don’t need pricey beauty products to achieve great results.  In the second video of her three-part, bilingual video series, created in partnership with the makers of ZYRTEC®, Carmen shares her simple, do-it-yourself beauty solutions to help women tackle allergy-related beauty challenges.  In part two, “Generations of Beauty Advice,” Carmen shares beauty tips that have been passed down from her mama y abuelita, including:
  1. How to Avoid Irritating a Red Nose: Use baby wipes instead of tissues, which are gentler on the skin.
  2. How to Relieve a Puffy Face: Try drinking watermelon juice.  Watermelons are a high water content fruit and are an excellent source of antioxidants.
  3. How to Help Hydrate a Puffy Face: Eat more fruits and vegetables like cucumbers, celery and zucchini all of which have high water content.  Citrus fruits and berries are also rich in vitamin C.
  4. How to Refresh Your ALLERGY FACE™: Place two metal spoons in the refrigerator and then place the back of the spoons on your eyelids for five minutes.
  5. Throw away old makeup: Remember that mascara should be tossed out every two months, foundations and concealers every year and lipsticks should be checked for discoloration every three months.
  6. Wash dirty makeup brushes monthly:  Just use a small amount of shampoo, face wash or antibacterial hand soap and rub it through the bristles and then rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Do you have any tips that help you combat allergy-face? What beauty tips did YOU learn from your mom or grandmother to help you get through allergy season? 


Please share your deep thoughts below!


And while you're at it, please visit YouTube.com/Zyrtec to view part one and part two of Carmen’s ALLERY FACE™ video series. Stay tuned for the release of part three, which will be distributed later this summer. In the meantime, be sure to follow Carmen on Twitter at @VivaFashion and check out her blog www.VivaFashionBlog.com for her latest ALLERGY FACE™ tips and tricks. And for product savings and rewards to help you feel better, visit Zyrtec.com and Facebook.com/ZYRTEC



Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored campaign on behalf of Latina Bloggers Connect and the makers of ZYRTEC®. All opinions are my own.