Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Romance That Allergies Could Not Foil



This post is part of a compensated conversation in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and the makers of ZYRTEC®, who asked that I share my experience with allergies, tips on combating them, and my use of ZYRTEC, which has been my go-to anti-histamine for years.

 
When I met Che  like one hundred years ago, everything was brand new. We were just getting to know each other. One of my first discoveries? Che is quite the cook. And very romantic.

One night he made me a three-course meal! When it came to dessert, he wanted to dial up the romance. Before I could see what was on the menu, he told me to close my eyes as he fed me my first bite. The next thing I knew, I was spitting out fruit, half choking while saying "I'm allergic!" That was his first discovery.

A horrified Che watched as I ran out of the room. I spent the next twenty minutes with my face under the faucet  - after ransacking his bathroom - to stop the transformation of my face into a hive-ridden mess. It was awesome.

But allergies could not foil this romance.

Fast forward to almost one hundred years later, Che and I are still together despite the fact that I could at any moment look like Will Smith in “Hitch” (movie reference: due to allergies, his character’s face swells up hunch-back of notre dame style).

Che is accustomed to my allergies at this rate. Why? Well, not only am I allergic to fruit, but I am also allergic to dust, cats, and the biggest culprit of all: seasonal allergies. I’m basically allergic to the air I breathe. Quite a catch, huh? My novio still seems to think so.

With spring in full swing for most of the country, the warm weather has begun to trigger seasonal allergies, which can affect not only the way we feel, but also how we look.  I know this first hand.

Clearly, ALLERGY FACE is something I’m familiar with on many levels. So, if there’s something in the air, or at the end of a fork, that triggers the hives, the non-stop sneezing, the itchy watery eyes, the I-want-to-dunk-my-face-in-water feeling, and whatever other sexy symptom that decides to show up, I am armed with tools.

What are my ALLERGY FACE combating must-haves?
 
Travel sized bottles of face wash and lotion, ZYRTEC liquid gels, liquid cover up and a cream blush. These weapons are always in my purse. So I can calm the symptoms and bring the sexy back just when I need to.

Of course, I learned this the hard way. Thankfully Che stuck around while I figured it all out. After all these years, ALLERGY FACE could not foil our romance. 

However, I’m not the only one who stocked up her allergy combating tool kit. The makers of ZYRTEC® have partnered with beauty and fashion expert, Carmen Ordoñez from VivaFashionBlog.com, to help women combat “ALLERGY FACE™” – the beauty challenges like a puffy face, watery eyes and a red nose that are associated with typical allergy symptoms. It seems that according to a recent survey by the makers of ZYRTEC®, 96 percent of women suffering from allergies experience ALLERGY FACE™

So, In an effort to help women look their best despite their allergies, the makers of ZYRTEC® have released video one of a three-part, bilingual video series in which Carmen shares her personal beauty tips to take on ALLERGY FACE™ beauty challenges.

 


In part one, “Tackling ALLERGY FACE™, One Tip at a Time, With Carmen Ordoñez,” Carmen introduces her tips to help disguise a red nose, a puffy face and watery eyes. Her tips include:

    • How to Disguise a Red Nose: Use a foundation or bronzer with a dewy or shimmery finish instead of a matte finish, which will only highlight dryness.

    • How to Contour a Puffy Face: Using an angle brush, apply a bronzer with brown undertones parallel to your jawline to help contour your face. Make sure it’s only one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone as you don’t want to overdo it.

    • How to Distract from Watery Eyes: Dab a white or silver shimmery eye shadow in the inner corner of your eyes.
Some other useful tips from Carmen include:


    • Nose: To help offset redness around your nose, apply a corrector or primer with a green tint, followed by your foundation.

    • Face: Add a pearly nude eye shadow to the top of your cheekbones to help them stand out. This will help distract from your ALLERGY FACE™ and illuminate your face.

    • Eyes: Draw attention away from puffy eyes by defining your upper lids with a navy liquid liner. Go for a stylish cat eye, which is a favorite among celebrities and has been all over the fashion runways. Start at the inner corner of your eye and create a wing effect once you get to the outer corner of your eye.
What are YOUR favorite beauty tips, tricks and tools to help combat ALLERGY FACE™ beauty challenges?  Be sure to share your deep thoughts below!
 
Stay tuned for the release of part two and three of Carmen’s video series, which will be distributed in the summer and fall, respectively. In the meantime, be sure to follow Carmen on Twitter at @VivaFashion and check her blog www.VivaFashionBlog.com for her latest ALLERGY FACE™ tips and tricks.

For product savings and rewards to help you feel better, be sure to visit ZYRTEC® on Facebook to learn more about how to combat ALLERGY FACE™ or check out Zyrtec.com.

 




 
Disclosure: this is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and the makers of ZYRTEC®. All opinions are my own.