Monday, April 22, 2013

LushLunes: Go Do Nothing

I have this recurring dream about being in Puerto Rico, and always looking at the beach, but never getting do enjoy it. The dream always ends with me heading to an airport saying, "I didn't even get to go to the beach." It feels like a nightmare.

I know why I have this dream. I'm a busy person. I juggle so much on my plate that it can be hard to keep up sometimes. And I can be so busy that I don't stop and look at the beautiful world that is around me. I can be so busy that I don't enjoy it. That's why I make it a point to do nothing at least once a week.





On my recent career-oriented trip, I scheduled in down time. Time for me to literally go and do nothing. I meditated, I went for a walk, I sat by the pool, I put my feet in the ocean, I stared at the stars... all of this is my kind of nothing. Actively doing nothing but breathing, living, and being present. Why? Because it's easy for me to get overwhelmed with a whole lot of something to do, that if I don't take a break, I could just fall apart. I don't ever want that to happen to you.

Did you know that the most successful people make this sort of "me" time? Yes they do.

Don't believe me? Check out this post by Jeff Weiner, the CEO of LinkedIn, whose post inspired your mission today.

What kind of homework am I giving you? Well your mission is to take a look at your calendar, and schedule some nothing today. Even if it's just 15 minutes, block it out. No phone, no emails, no work, no TV... just you (if you're already groaning, "oh I can't today," well you can do it before or after lunch, it's that simple). Then go do nothing.

Do it. Make it happen. You'll see just how much more productive you will be when you get back to saving the world. Have a very Lush Lunes my deep thinkers!