Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Butterfly At Hispanicize

I remember my first conference. I was overwhelmed. I was shy and quiet and wanted to escape to my room. I was on the verge of a panic attack at one point. Those caterpillar days are long gone. Since then I’ve made so many friends and have learned tools to help me overcome the fears I have when it comes to networking.

I have never been to Hispanicize before but it paired my love of blogging with my love of film – I definitely wanted to check it out. After a lot of, “I don’t know if I should go,” moments, the Universe had its’ way and before I knew it I was going to Miami.

Of course one of my favorite things about conferences in general is that it’s like a reunion! So many familiar faces, both online and off, in one amazing City. Getting greeted with squeals of excitement (@laflowers, @curvesandchaos), hearing “LaLicenciada!” being yelled from across a room (@joseresendez, @doggystudio), and being welcomed with big hugs all around (every day) is just a wonderful feeling. Love it! And the LATISM presence was incredible – we’re such a supportive bunch! It was powerful to see us all in action.


At the Tide #FabulousWhite Party


Some highlights from my weekend included: 
Holy, did I return with some awesome memories!

With Helen Troncoso, Nadia Jones, George Torres and Monique Frausto.



Interestingly, I realized that people see me in my blog. I know one would think that is a given, but it is always astounding to me. It feels like everything I have done over the years to help people (and myself) find balance, achieve wellness of mind, body and soul, and to remind them (and myself) that it is ok to chase ones dreams is really putting ripples out into the Universe. It is so very gratifying and moving to feel that I make a difference, however small it may be.

Armed with that beautiful knowledge, I made some amazing new connections as well. And that’s what it’s all about: connecting. I’ve come a long way from being panicked in a bathroom at my first conference. This bloguera was a butterfly at Hispanicize. It’s about time.

 

 
____________

 

 
SPECIAL THANKS GO TO...
Un abrazo fuerte to Mercedes Sanchez, for being so hospitable. You're beautiful inside and out. Special Thanks to LatinaMomBloggers for gifting me a ticket to Hispanicize.  And a special #wow mention to Helen Troncoso (my fellow LATISM-NY Co-Director) who said, "wana go to Hispanicize?" in the first place.