Thursday, January 24, 2013

Live YOUR Life YOUR Way

I will never forget the moment when I told my sister and mom that I wanted to pursue acting. They were so happy for me!! But of course we kept it under wraps for many years.

The fear has always been that the family would judge me, judge us. My sister (the singer) and I are creative, and since these fields are not considered practical, naturally everyone has an opinion.

My mom recently opened up to our family about how proud she was of her daughter "the amazing actress." Her words. She has always supported me but to hear her brag about it with her sisters, well, that was priceless. She stopped caring about what anyone might say and I'm glad she got there on her own, in her own time.

In an interview on Inside the Actors Studio, Johnny Depp once said, "Just keep moving and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for YOU."

Exactly. Live your life YOUR way. Who cares about what anyone says? Seriously, the most important opinion is the one you have of yourself. The rest is all noise.

And what I love about this, is that when we dare to chase our own dreams, out loud, out in the open, (despite what anyone else may think or say), we inspire.

It's not easy, but anything we desire is certainly possible with a lot of planning, a lot of work and a lot of faith.

I was recently interviewed by a local paper about my own dream-chasing and my supporting role in a new dramatic series:
 
"A lot of sacrifices were made in order for Valentin to pursue her dreams....Valentin compared her acting journey to that of studying for the New York State Bar Exam. ...'I’m familiar with the hard journey. I must enjoy it on some level,' she said...."
Read more here.

And it's true. I must love the challenge. It's been a battle to "make it" and I am enjoying every minute.

No matter what anyone else thinks about your journey, the only voice you should listen to is the sound of your own voice cheering you on.

Live your life YOUR way, my deep thinkers. This life is what you make of it, after all.