Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Priorities And Taking Care of Me

Overall wellness is important to me. I exercise, I make "me" time, I meditate, pursue my bliss and strive for balance. But I have left out a very important part of Me time. A necessary not-so-fun part.

I don't always take good care of my health. As I began writing this post a few days ago, I was aware that I needed to go to a doctor. I've been sick for about two weeks.

Two weeks, I know. Slowly remove your jaw from the table and place it back in position please. 

I have been having trouble breathing. I kept thinking, just a few more days and if I don't get better, I'll go to the doctor. Then a few days passed, more commitments came up, and I didn't make the time to go.

I knew I needed to take care of it. I finally made a last minute appointment with my doctor. The verdict? Bronchitis.

*whimper*

I'm on medication now, but could have avoided this had I taken action sooner. I waited so long because I made other things, people and responsibilities a priority.

This is not good.

As much as my career, fitness, spiritual wellness, and relationships matter, none of that is possible if  I don't take care of my health first.

I did not want to be hopped up on meds on my birthday. But I'll be better in time for the holidays.

Please take this as a reminder that you need to take care of yourself during the season of giving.