Friday, November 16, 2012

Being Among Like-Minded Women: Moves Power Women 2012 Awards #Latism

I've gone to a few galas. I've gone to a few celebrity soirees. Normally what I dislike is the pretentious attitude that fills the room, which is stifling.  But, the Moves Power Women Awards was nothing like that.



In fact, this was quite the opposite. I felt like I was among like-minded women, like-minded people with an overall sense of support and encouragement. 

For that reason alone I am so thankful Univision invited the New York Chapter of LATISM to attend. 

So, what would describe a Moves Power Woman? 

She is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of others and clearing the path for a New Generation. She shows leadership and dedication; influencing and unafraid to be influenced within her chosen field and recognizes the need for changes in society, willing to make sacrifices to achieve these changes... behind the scenes or out front. 
 
And I am all about that.





While at the gala, I got to hobnob with many of the honorees. I had a great time meeting  Univision’s Maria Elena Salinas, chatting with PIX11’s Sukanya Krishnan (she was the Master of Ceremonies, PIX11) , and getting to know Executive Director of Scientists Without Borders Shaifali Puri (along with her amazing parents who were so proud of their incredible daughter).  Ms. Puri and I had a moment of "don't I know you?" which could possibly be the recovering-lawyer connection, but we still haven't figured it out. 

There were also some inspiring acceptance speeches. To set the tone, behind all of the speakers stood a large canvas with a beautiful quote by Katherine Hepburn: 
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Ain't that a fact.



My favorite speech was by Susan Sarandon (I totally love her) , but all of the honorees discussed women supporting each other, being authentic, and that being successful means you bring others along with you on the journey.  Yes, yes and yes! I was totally meant to be there.  

If you're interested in seeing some pics, go ahead and check out my photos of the evening on my Instagram, where you'll see Susan Sarandon, Gayle King, and Bridget Moynahan, as well as photos of me and my @Latism_NYC partner in crime, Helen Troncoso. 



Thanks again to Univision for the invitation! We, the ladies of LATISM NY had a blast.