Monday, October 15, 2012

LushLunes: Meditate Much?

Have you meditated today? I did. For fifteen minutes. Meditation has been a part of my life for so long. The first time I remember meditating was in High School. We put our heads on our desks and followed Sr. SoandSo's guided meditation. It was wonderful.  There was a staircase, a garden, some peace and calm. It was a great experience for my teenage self. At my High School reunion I told Sr. SoandSo that it made a huge impact on my life and that I still practiced meditation today.

I think people fear the idea of it, because it sounds obscure. But honestly, for me it's just a form of prayer, a way to get clarity, and at a very basic level to be present in the moment from ten to twenty minutes. A little me time; God time; focused time.  And it feels awesome. 

Did I lose you? I hope not. 

Don't get me wrong - I too have the "there's no time to meditate today" argument with myself, or I rush through a meditation post-cappuccino like, "c'mon let's get centered already," which becomes a total fail. All of that is totally normal. But once you get into the flow of it, I promise you, that zen feeling that already resides within you will surface in moments where you might have lashed out, gotten agitated, started to cry without tapping into that clarity. It makes the days brighter. It is its' own reward.

So your LushLunes mission is to consider if you would be willing to begin a practice where you would spare at least ten to twenty minutes in total present awareness, focusing on a mantra of your choice, keeping the internal dialogue quite.  Just decide. That's your mission. 

I hope you have a very Lush Lunes!


PS If you're unsure whether you can commit and want me to talk a little more about why I meditate, the process of it, and any personal anecdotes of how it helped me, please comment below and let me know!