Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The "Make a Weeknight Meal Special" Challenge!

There is nothing better than a home cooked meal, where we sit at the table with those we love, eating mindfully, and enjoying each others company. We do this during those Sunday dinners when everyone can make it over to my mom's house and it always feels like a special occasion, even when it isn't. 


But we can (and should) have mindful meals at home any day of the week! If they were hearty but took less time, it might be something we did more often. And although there are a myriad of ways to make this happen, the people at Bertolli gave me an opportunity to try it their way. 

I've only tried Bertolli's marinara sauce when I don't have time to make my home made sauce, because it's simply an amazing substitute.  So when they asked me to try their frozen soup, I thought, "why not." It is cold out... I have been on a weird "I'm gonna cook" type of kick... and if you come here often, you know I'm all about making ordinary days totally extraordinary

Needless to say, I took them up on their challenge to "Make a Weeknight Meal Special," in under an hour.  How was I going to make this dinner special? Well, these were my three goals: 

 
  1. Lighting candles to create a great ambiance for dinner. 
  2. Drinking water from a wine glass to make it fancy and fun.
  3. Setting the table and eating mindfully, enjoying every bite.
Earlier that week I went to the supermarket and picked up Bertolli's Tomato Florentine & Tortellini with Chicken soup. Picking out the soup I wanted took about fifteen minutes. 



Aside from a quick shopping trip, the dinner took twenty minutes total to make (including prep time, like opening the bag and following the two instructions, then getting the table ready). Within that time, I accomplished the three goals above.  All under an hour baby!



Then I sat down, and let me tell you, it was delicious - like eating fresh Italian food. I picked a winner! I did NOT expect it to be that good. I had some special alone time, ate two bowls of soup and I still have some left over.  Want some? ;-)
 
It feels good to slow down and do something nice for myself.  We don't need to wait until Friday to have fun... we can celebrate any night of the week! Cheers to Bertolli for jumping on the "treat yourself" bandwagon and making such a fabulous sopita.
Learn more about Bertolli Meal Soups on Facebook, Twitter or on the Bertolli site, so you too can turn meal time into special "me" time, in minutes!




Disclosure
I was compensated by Bertolli to participate in the Make a Weeknight Meal Special Challenge.  All opinions are my own.