Thursday, January 26, 2012

Celebrate The Movies: The Oscars!


I spent my life growing up watching movies every weekend with my family. It was an event... no one spoke or interrupted. Or at least that's how I remember it. I was so engrossed in the films that long after they were over I'd repeat the lines to myself, recreating the magic... it's no wonder I gravitated toward acting.

I love film! It can be so powerful in its' ability to move you, make you laugh, smile, and cry...sometimes in the same hour. The stories on screen stir the imagination and the soul ...which is truly a remarkable feat especially for those who have a difficult time suspending disbelief (like Che!).


My photo of "The Film Director ", a sculpture by Andrew Rogers
I am thrilled for the actors and films that have been nominated this year! You can read more about them in this Back Stage article: "'Hugo' and 'The Artist' Lead With Most Oscar Nominations.



Of the movies nominated for Best Picture, I've only seen "The Artist," "The Help" and "The Tree of Life." I must admit I really enjoyed them. I can't wait to see "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," "Hugo" and "Midnight in Paris." In the past I have gone to the AMC Best Picture Showcase to get all caught up, but I might skip it this year because it's quite the marathon. I sometimes have marathons at home... which is much better than sitting in a theater in a little tiny seat, unable to curl up into a ball. But I digress...

I am dying to watch "My Week with Marilyn" (Michelle Williams got a nod) since Buttercup and I are HUGE Mariyn fans. And Viola Davis truly deserves her nomination in "The Help" as does Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," (a film I enjoyed despite having loved the original). I admire actors who truly pour themselves into their roles portraying magnificent characters and bringing stories to life! That's what it's all about. It's something I aspire to do as well.

The world of movies... Oh how I love you! I can't wait to see which film will take home an Oscar this year!!! I'm looking forward to the 84th Annual Academy Awards on Sunday, February 26, 2012. Who do you think will take home an Oscar?