Monday, June 20, 2011

LushLunes: Walking With Purpose

It's LushLunes, and today's mission is simple yet challenging, and very effective. 

When I'm working out, it is such an amazing feeling. Part of that is because I am completely mindful of what I am doing. I am aware of my breathing, my movements and any sensations I feel.

Whether its yoga (my hands firm against the ground, my feet planted, the stretch in my legs and my back) or swimming (left arm, right arm, breathe) or running (breathe, breathe, breathe), my mind is no where else but in that moment. 

However, one action where my mind wanders and which I take for granted is walking. And it's something I should be grateful for; something I am blessed to be able to do.  This leads me to your mission...

Your LushLunes Assignment:

Pay attention to the work that is being done by your feet when you walk. How they carry you. When they lift off of the ground, move forward, and what part of your foot comes into contact with the ground first. Any sounds your walking makes. 

Pay attention to how your arms move, what your hands are doing, your breathing as you walk, your pace. Your mind will wander - you will have thoughts of being late, errands that need to be done, or what you need from the fridge, but gently bring your attention back to the action of walking for however long you are doing it. 

Try to do this throughout the day and let me know how you feel. Believe it or not, walking with a mindful purpose is centering you, bringing you into the now, and focusing on nothing else but YOU. 

#LushLunes - Making your Monday suck less.