Sunday, March 13, 2011

You Reap What You Sow

In the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills you might have seen how Lisa VanderPump was taken advantage of, and how that person really didn't appreciate their generosity, to say the least. What happened with her really hit close to home. 

There was a woman living at my moms house, someone who was supposed to be a friend of Buttercup

 

I remember seeing this woman taking advantage of Buttercup. Any attempt I made to warn her really didn't work. So in my own way of trying to "help" without overstepping my boundaries, I refused to let her take advantage of me. 


Once she wanted me to review a contract for her, the other time she asked me to jump start her car, the next time she didn't reach into her wallet to pay for her portion of dinner. NO, NO and NO. I made sure she took care of her business without trying to throw me into her pot of FREE everything. This woman was a manipulator or stabbed Buttercup in the back, took advantage of my family and the connections my family had, even after she finally left. Both my mom and Buttercup were really hurt about how all of this went down.

I'm going to skip the part about how pissed all of this made me and get to the point.  There are people like that all around us. As I most recently tweeted, I've had cousins I haven't spoken to in years ask for money, legal services, and detailed genealogical information on facebook, without so much as a hello or how are you. What happened to the niceties? What happened to manners?

Some people will suck the life out of you, if you let them. I may be an enabler for those I'm close to, but I do not have "doormat" written on my back. I DO not let them walk all over me. 

I reply to these requests for favors the best I can without saying "what the hell is wrong with you?" In fact, it's quite the opposite. I am empathetic and wish them the best of luck. Of course, I never hear a response in return. It's not that I won't do a favor for someone I'm close to or trust, but those people making their bold and rude requests, do not fall into that category of warm and fuzzy friends. 

But sometimes one slips through the cracks, case in point with that woman whose name shall not be mentioned....

What makes people so daring? Or rude?  And why are those who are generous with their time, services, talents, or their homes the targets?

All I can say my deep thinkers, is watch out for the predators. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. And when all else fails, I hope the old saying, "el que la hace la paga," or "you reap what you sow," will bring you some comfort. Keep doing good, and know that good will come your way. Let the Universe take care of the rest.