Friday, October 8, 2010

A Morning in Mourning

Two weeks ago I had a dream about a family reunion. I woke up and told Che, I think there's gonna be a funeral.

The next week, I burst in to tears at work for a few minutes when my mom called me hysterical. Tia passed away. 

My Great Aunt (my grandmothers sister) who was born in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, was married to a Jewish man. She represents the entire Jewish side of my family. 

Needless to say, the funeral was huge. Do you know how many Puerto Ricans constitute immediate family? Todos.
Theresa was a gorgeous, classy, kick ass woman. Her husband is a wonderful man.  As we sat in his home, amongst his children and grandchildren, and great grandchildren, he sat, despondent. So I opened my big fat mouth and asked how he met my Great Aunt. Then he lit up! He told me, with eyes bright like he was reliving it at that very moment:


"I was in the army and I saw her at a dance in Borinquen. She was with her chaperon... She was soo good looking...so I asked her chaperon if I could dance with her... and we danced. I messed up her white shoes so she said, there's no more dancing. But that was it.  We kept going from there."
They kept going for sixty-seven years.


The hardest part is feeling like I'm losing the link to this side of my family. All my Boricuas Judíos. 

But I think this time it will be different. I think what my Aunt did not see during her lifetime, will come to fruition before the vibrant eyes of my Great Uncle. A family united. That's my hope, anyway. 


To wrap all this sadness up, [if you've actually read this far into this post] here's a poem in memory of my Great Aunt.



"I want a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Protestant clergyman.  I want to hedge my bets."  
~Wilson Mizner 

Thanks for reading.