Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog Action Day 2010: It's Our Water.


Water is a Health issue. A Human Rights Issue. A global Issue.
-Blog Action Day 2010

Check out this video: Women can't do anything from water.org on Vimeo.



I'm not exactly the most green person. I recycle. I try to shut off the lights. I try to take short showers. I try to do laundry only when its full. That's as green as I get. I try. But do I try hard enough?


Consider this: 



Nearly 1 billion people lack access to clean water, which causes a litany of struggles, diseases and even death.
I chose to participate in blog action day because of that sentence. 

They only time I feel helpless, is when I'm without water (try an hour to an entire day without water when a storm hits in Puerto Rico when you're there on vacation). And I'm never without it for that long. I cannot imagine not having access to clean water. 

The message was crystal clear when I saw the PUR water demonstration at BlogHer. It had me floored. I was amazed at the ability to bring clean water to places, countries, and people that do not have that luxury with a small packet. How's that for trying?

I also felt deeply sad. Happiness and health...in a little packet.  A little packet I was too freaked out to try in my own home (dare I sully water, clean it, then drink it? Apparently not.) I am so far removed from their suffering. I cannot even being to comprehend.

Now consider this:  

People in the US [are] drinking an average of 200 bottles of water per person each year. Over 17 million barrels of oil are needed to manufacture those water bottles, 86 percent of which will never be recycled.


So I took a moment...I paused. How many packs of water bottles do I buy when I have water at my fingertips? Why so much waste? 

I need to be a little more careful with this luxury in my hands.

Since August, I've stopped buying plastic water bottles. I travel with my stainless steel water bottle (my canteen). Every day, a little more green. Trying every day.
There are great organizations working on solutions and new tools that empower people to do their part to address the water crisis.

Are you doing your part? It's not too late. 

For info on how you can take steps to reduce how much water you use check out this
the Virtual Water app.  Also head on over to food.change.org for the discussion on eliminating bottled water.  


After all, it's our home we're talking  about.