Sunday, August 22, 2010

Do You Have a Vision Board? |LOA|

he energy you put out into the universe, you will receive. Your words are very powerful.
And believe it or not we do have control over our destiny.

A few years ago I decided to put the notion that I can get what I want if I only ask for it (or seek and you shall find; knock and the door will open) to the test.

 



[Need a refresher? Check out these posts: Be Careful What You Wish For and Wish Fulfillment]

My first "vision board" started off as a list in my diary [this was before my blogging days].

I wrote a simple list of what I wanted out of my life in the order of importance during that year. Looking back at that list, I definitely got what I wanted. What did I learn? To be more specific! Be specific, my dears, because the Universe IS listening.


The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams

So what happened as a result of that list? Total friggin' chaos. In retrospect, it was what I needed to get my life in order. I got what I asked for but I had no idea that it would pan out the way that it did.

Sometimes your life has to fall apart before you can get your life together. 

What do I mean? For example, I wrote that I wanted a "loving, healthy, positive relationship with my boyfriend." At the time I thought we had that. Boy, was I wrong! I did not know that we would wind up going through a heart-wrenching, soul-shattering, faith-shaking break up that would rip us both to our core. But from those ashes, came a new relationship with him. A really beautiful, loving, positive relationship. One we did not have before.

I didn't let the power of channeling what I wanted scare me. Instead, I got more specific. I created my own vision board. 


I was recently asked by a fellow bloguera how to create a vision board:
"Is it better to have a full board, add slowly as different things come to mind, or do as you like?" 
I say, "Do as you like." It's your life. [but again, please read the caveat above].There are plenty of resources created by authorities on the topic [and I am no expert, mind you, so please do your homework]

Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from The Power of Now 


So I'm just going to tell you how I did it: 

On my board I laid out the major things I want, like an outline. You know, the major stuff: Health, Happiness, Balance, Financial Security, Success and Fulfillment in Career, Healthy Loving Relationships with my Partner, Family and Friends, etc. [but I am very very specific].

Then around those major things, I have added specific phrases and I have been slowly adding images to make it even more specific. (Just like in the film The Women) The only thing I cannot stress enough is to be specific and honest with what you want and true to yourself. 

Need a better example of what I mean? In the book, Eat Pray Love, the character Richard from Texas kept praying for an open heart. You know what happened? Open Heart Surgery.  So be clear, my deep thinkers.

Don't put this vision board on display for others. It's for you. Just put up whatever will make you happy, wherever you want. You don't need to please anyone else but yourself with that board.
There is power in your words and in having a vision when it comes to your goals. But this is not an easy process.  You have to accept that it is OK to ask for what you want. Really. It's ok. I promise.

Just take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.
- Martin Luther King
 
If you're afraid of putting up a vision board, get a box to store pages / images / phrases of the things you want, or a binder/book of desires to set up as you wish. Or if you need more direction, use something that guides you, like the book - Where will you be five years from today. That's a good place to start.  

 My good friend Sorayu bought me that book and it really got me doing my homework and helped me to focus my vision board (I also think it has to be tangible.If you create it online, be sure to print it out for yourself as you go along.)

After you start doing this, let go. It's not a relic or a place of worship. It just a place to put your desires.

It's a place where you look into yourself and say This Is What I Want. And you're also publishing it, in a way, and saying, "look at this, God / Universe" (whatever you believe in), "this is what I want. Help me make this happen, please. I really want this. I have faith you will help me on this journey." Then be done.

Don't wait for each thing to happen. Just add to your board/ box/ binder /book as you wish but don't dwell on "when is this going to happen? " 'Cuz that's not healthy.

Don't live in the "future" of possibilities. Live in the now. Relish the now. Be present in your life and all the things you want will come to you, washing over you like rain on a hot summer day.  




Have faith in your hopes and dreams, my Deep Thinkers.

The Universe is always working in your favor.


And PLEASE let me know when/ if you do it.. and how you do it... I'll certainly be here to lend my support.


____________________________________________________
Links in this post are from Amazon.com. I am an Amazon Associate.