Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eat Pray Love ...and Change My Life?


Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia In February 2009, I decided to start a Virtual Book Club on Facebook. It was completely out of character. I guess with my schedule I decided that my friends on FB and I could chat about books even though we didn't have time to meet up in person to do so. The first book suggested was Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book fell on my lap at the perfect time in my life. 
 
I read the book when I was at a cross roads in my life. I wasn't happy with my job. The pro-bono work I was doing in Entertainment Law wasn't cutting it. I was lost. I was completely unhappy. And I was drowning myself in work. 
 
Many times, I would cry in my bed, asking God, what do I do? Why am I so unhappy? 
Then I opened the page and I felt like I traveled through her spiritual journey with her. Woosh... right into her world, her pain, her confusion, her crusade. I reflected on life with her. I laughed and cried with her. I opened myself up more to yoga and made meditation part of my daily routine.
 
Her story helped me discover my story. 




This book opened me up to other books with similar spiritual journeys, and slowly I believe the universe started to open itself up to me when I opened myself up to it. I finally opened myself up to possibilities.
 
It started with this book, and several books later (12 to be exact) with my world slowly changing... Twilight (The Twilight Saga)
...the light bulb finally flicked-on when I read the Twilight Saga ... I know, I know, you're thinking, "how does that relate?"  The only connection is this: After being open to possibilities, and finally looking at the signs dancing in front of my face, I realized I wanted to become an actress. Woosh. My Life Changed.  Twilight was a book I thought I would never read in a million years.. and when I did, I realized I wanted to play a character when the images in Stephanie Meyer's fantasy world played over and over in my head. And I wanted nothing more than to act them out like the actors who portray the characters in the films. 
 

Although my creative mind opened up with Twilight , my heart opened up with Eat Pray Love. Without the self-reflection, I would never have had the courage to finally admit to what others have been telling me for years - I didn't want to practice Entertainment Law, I wanted to be on the other side of it. I wanted to act.

With all of that out in the open, I decided to share my opinions on the book with you, exactly as I posted them on the discussion board of my Virtual Book Club.  Going back and reading my entries, I feel like I can see the wheels turning in me... the change already happening.

I hope that wherever your journey in this world may take you, that it brings you toward achieving your dreams. I'm still writing my story, but as I write the book of my dreams, as always, I'm glad to have you along...really, truly, glad. 

~~~
Eat Pray Love virtual book club Entry 1:
Her descriptions are great. I find myself laughing out loud on the train - i cant help it! 
Eat Pray Love virtual book club Entry 2:
I can visualize what she is saying. The metaphors of lifehouse and albatross are so telling - it does seem like a crisis of sorts. It sounded to me like she felt mired...
I think traveling alone is great - but I think it would take a lot of effort for those of us who may not be social butterflies. It's good to get out of your comfort zone. My birthday is coming and there's a lot of traveling I have yet to do. But I'm not freaked out by the age thing yet. I think that the closer it looms - depending on where I feel my path is headed - I might get freaked out... I can identify with a lot of what she says because I think as a woman I'm supposed to want a lot of things that traditionally women want by the time they are my age but I'm ok with my life the way it is now. For a lot of people that comes off as strange.
Anyway, something else I liked was how she says she wanted to be like Ghandi and Mandela - not realizing they were lawyers.  
Eat Pray Love virtual book club Entry 3:
Ladies! I totally love this! The way Elizabeth describes Depression and Loneliness- i could see it, I could feel it, hell, I know those guys. I liked where she wrote in her notebook "I'm here. I love you...I am stronger than Depression and greater than Loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me." I just - I started to tear up.
I loved that she recognized herself as a friend. I think, at least for me, I can be my worst critic, so that's important to keep in mind. I also like when Giovanni told her to be patient with herself... sometimes that's so damn hard to do. I also like how she talks about God and her inner voice / higher self... 
Eat Pray Love has made me feel so inspired and really moves me. Its so fresh and candid. And I too loved the idea of gelato in the morning! yay gelato!!! Oh and yes, the petition!! What a fantastic idea. Putting what you want out there in the universe...
Eat Pray Love virtual book club Entry 4:
The part where she talks about how as Americans we work so hard and we dont know how to relax, to the point that on our days off all we can do is veg out all weekend in our jammies watching mindless tv. All i could say was, holy crap, thats me. I mean I go on vacation and I can definitely do the whole sitting on the beach and vegging out but it takes me at least a week to wind down and stop thinking about work, responsibility, etc. 
Anyway, so far I'm totally jealous of her 4 months abroad studying a language. Wish someone would go and pay me to write about discovering my path in this world while in a fabulous country. Ok, jealousy aside, We are all on a spiritual journey...I will miss this book once I'm done reading it. It stirs a lot up in me. I'm doing a lot of self reflecting.
Eat Pray Love virtual book club Entry 5:


Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something that's probably going to sound crazy. I think that at the right moments in life, our ears listen, our eyes see and our hearts feel exactly what we need to feel (like Elizabeth's first prayer and the answer she got). I think that you can come across a book like this or any other book at at time in your life when you needed to read a certain passage that will open up your heart or remind you of who you are.


Essentially everything happens for a reason. And with that longwinded vague description, I'm just glad I did something so out of character and started a book club ...then THIS is the first book suggested. I needed to read this book, at this time, so my ears would listen, my eyes would see and my heart could feel exactly what was needed.
  ~~~
Eat Pray Love, indeed. 


I hope you enjoy my Eat Pray Love book club entries. Please feel free to share your deep thoughts on the book! And if you're as excited for the movie as I am, feel free to leave me a little Woot Woot!

If you're interested, head on over to watch the trailer over and over again like I've been doing on facebook or at the official site http://LetYourSelfGo.com/






_______
Credits: 
I wrote this post simply out of sheer love of the book. 
The links and images in this post are through Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Check out my disclosure tab to read more.