Saturday, May 15, 2010

National Puerto Rican Day Parade & Cultural Pageant - Are You Going?


There are a series of events in May and June leading up to the National Puerto Rican Parade in New York City, so I recommend you check out the site: National Puerto Rican Day Parade, Inc. for information on events that are open to the public.

There is a cultural pageant and a number of events that are much smaller than the parade (and others that are much more exclusive).

The Parade in NYC will be on Sunday, June 13, 2010 starting at 11:00am.

National Puerto Rican Day Parade

Fifth Avenue (from 44th Street to 86th Street) New York City

Outdoor Cultural Event/Open to the Public


You can see my post on waving the Puerto Rican flag at the parade by clicking HERE .




I haven't been to the parade since I was on the float for the Miss Puerto Rico National Puerto Rican Parade Cultural Pageant in 1999.  I was just a finalist, but I got to do my "queen wave," in a very large gown, sweating and smiling until my face hurt!

The pageant was an amazing but tough experience (see pictures of pageant below - yes, that was me, back then!). You can actually buy tickets to attend the pageant, by the way (see National Puerto Rican Day Parade, Inc. for details)!

Pageantry is not easy (especially because I did it at the behest of my parents). But, what made the months of hard work, preparation, and stress worth it was being at the parade with the music filling the air and the energy of so much orgullo (pride)!

Keep me posted on whether you are going to the parade!

P.S. I might be on a float this year for an internet radio station where I've been a guest host a few times. I'll keep you posted on that one!

MEMORIES
Miss Puerto Rico 
National Puerto Rican Parade 
Cultural Pageant 1999









Images of bathing suit portion omitted, for my sanity.