Sunday, March 21, 2010

Me Time

Chasing your dreams can be stressful and no one really wants to hear how hard it is while you're in the middle of it. They would rather hear how hard it was, after seeing the sparkly result (I cannot wait for that, by the way... I'm so impatient!).

When we are in the middle of the grind, we should try to remember one thing: we will get through all the struggle and frustration! It also helps when we stick with positive people that encourage us to keep going.

We also have to take the time to center ourselves and reassess (when we can) so we can keep ourselves motivated. To quote a young artist:

"Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side,
it's the climb" - Miley Cyrus




After all that climbing, sometimes we feel the weight of how much more there is to go (especially when the obnoxious child inside us is persistently whining, "are we there yet? are we there yet?"). That can really stunt our happiness.

Happiness is peace... For me, my home is my retreat - its a sunny place that is the antithesis of the hard edge that is New York city. But sometimes coming home is not enough to bring me that serenity. When I need to recharge, I take a walk outside, take ten minutes to meditate, do some yoga, I go to the gym and run-it-out or I get a pedicure! Taking some "me time" can be all I need to get my peace back and allow positive thoughts back in.

I think that doing something physical, spiritual, or letting out some bottled-up emotions allows me to loosen my grip on all that tension I hold. When I can release it and focus on my needs - which oddly enough aren't always intertwined with my goals - then I can put things into perspective.

There are times however that I need more than a fifteen minute break. Sometimes I need to invest more. And that's what I'm going to do. I'm ready to leave all my stress behind me. I'm going on a much needed vacation (I'll tell you all about it when I get back)!


In the mean time, if you're entrenched in "the climb," and you can't get away just yet, try to give yourself a little retreat (even fifteen minutes)... just a little "Me Time." It will make all the difference.

If you do give yourself that little re-energizing break, please share what you do when you need "ME TIME."