Monday, November 2, 2009

Excuse Me, You're Stepping All Over My Dreams

My Painting (circa 2004).
People who aspire to be lawyers have come up to me to tell me about their dreams of practicing law. Now, I make no bones about my lack of passion for the law. You know it, I know it, but that's not the point. Despite how I feel about my profession, my response is always positive:




"Go For It!"

"Good For You"

"Don't Give Up,"




…and the positive reinforcement goes on and on.



But what I HATE HATE HATE is when other lawyers respond by saying:



"UGH, don't do it,"

"Believe me, it's not worth it,"

"Don't waste your time."



WTF? Why you crushin' their dream, yo?! Any successful person who discourages others from attaining their goals should be ASHAMED.



I grew up in a world that told me "I can't." (I'm fighting the urge to quote Obama... ok, ok, I won't do it.... ok). Since then, I made it my mission to prove the naysayers wrong and to allow others to revel in their dreams.



When I was teaching elementary school (a class predominantly made up of Hispanics and African American children), I drilled the following thought into my students:



YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD.

DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT.



Why did I go nuts saying that? Why did I love it when they looked at me, eyes wide open and smiling? Because they knew I was a Puerto Rican woman from their neighborhood, a lawyer and their teacher... and if I could do it, so could they.



So whether you encounter an adult or a child who tells you they want to aspire to something - don't tell them it’s impossible. You have no idea what they are capable of. And the level of your happiness in any given field certainly does not foreshadow the experience of another on that path.

Remember, the energy you put into this world will be returned in like kind… so be positive, speak positively, and promote positivity.







*the image in this post is a picture of a painting I made, which hangs in my home.
**This post was edited on April 19, 2010 because of style erros that prevented it from appearing for some of my readers .