Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Let Me Introduce Myself





Recently, I've been working with my scene partner. She and I have a lot in common, and we discovered this through long emails wherein we discuss who we are, what we like and what we dislike. And so I had the grand idea that I should take the time to INTRODUCE MYSELF, to myself.

I have 3 hobbies: collecting quarters, completing my genealogy project and leading a virtual book club I formed. I AM A DORK, BUT I DON'T USUALLY TELL ANYONE. I stopped painting. I don't know why. Lack of time, maybe. I enjoy going to museums - the Met & MOMA are my faves. I love the arts - music & film especially. I love dancing. I love to travel. I must travel at least 4x a year. I am going to Aruba soon. Very excited.

I only exercise 2x a week but in my mind, when I research free exercise videos, I think that counts. I practice yoga, meditation and I go running. I love running. When the world is nipping at my heels, I RUN-IT-OUT. It's almost as effective as meditation for me.

I am very wrapped up in my responsibilities, and with my nuclear family, which consists of my mother and my sister. I have a strained relationship with my father but we have been working on that. I ALWAYS SEEK TO ACHIEVE A BALANCE in spending time with my family, my friends and my boyfriend of five years. However, I don't take enough care of myself. That is a constant goal.

I am pursuing acting. This acting thing is the first time I feel like I'm doing something for me. Acting is not a hobby. It's more of a DREAM FULFILLMENT. What else am I doing for me? I love writing and blogging. I love reading. I get very involved in movies, theater, books, and music. I am very sensitive to it. I give myself over to it and allow myself to become immersed in its world. I have no problem suspending disbelief - almost anything is possible. It's that gift that allows me to look at my world through a new set of eyes.

I am able to do a lot of DIY projects (ie putting up walls, etc.) But I loathe it. I had to learn many trades "by doing," which is part of THE CULTURE OF WOMEN IN MY FAMILY - WHAT I LIKE TO THINK OF AS AMAZON WOMEN. I love my culture - I love learning about it, talking about it and exploring my heritage (Puerto Rican, Spanish & Irish). These women I refer to, include my mother - she is my heritage.

I am the only person in my family to go to graduate school. I AM A BIT OF AN OUTCAST BECAUSE OF THIS. But I got a thicker skin because of it. I can be very callous when I'm in lawyer mode - I hate litigation. But nurturing my creative side makes it bearable. I loved teaching. I was very good at it. I will do that again one day. I like marketing. I do that every day on twitter. I like to flaunt "Her Deep Thoughts."

I AM LOYAL TO A FAULT.
I went to therapy for 2 years and I believe I have evolved as a person. I realized that I gave too much and deserved more. I lost "friends" when I started to communicate what I needed from them and they didn't step up to the plate. I don't use that word "friends" lightly. The few that accepted my request and grew with me remained. I appreciate them, and I try my hardest to make time for them.

I BELIEVE IN GOD. I NEVER FEEL ALONE WHEN I REMIND MYSELF THAT THERE IS A HIGHER BEING, ALWAYS WORKING IN MY FAVOR - ESPECIALLY WHEN I FAIL TO REALIZE IT.


If YOU MADE IT THIS FAR INTO THE BLOG, I SHOULD APPLAUD YOU.


I'm glad I have taken the time to get to know me. Acting has allowed me to dive into what makes me tick, and I can really appreciate that. Now, DO YOU KNOW YOU?

*photo of me eating a burger in Puerto Rico