Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Awareness-Shmareness




This is one of my favorite Shakespeare quotes (from Twelfth Night). It keeps me motivated. But I only see it when it scrolls across my idle computer at work.

An astrologist once told me I often look at the horizon, rather than what lay before me. I was a college kid then, and I have since grown a great deal, but I think when it comes to my career, I still look at the horizon. I'm always want to be THERE at the finish line, instead of just being HERE, NOW.

Practicing AWARENESS is no easy task. Focusing on the here and now takes dedication and effort. It's just another thing I'm striving for.

Although I strive for it, I don't always succeed. Abandoning any notion of awareness I started to dwell on that horizon and asked an actor friend of mine whether I should get my head shots taken and start auditioning. Why? Because I want to get there already! My fast-track questions were immediately shot down. He essentially gave me the WISE MR. MIYAGI-KARATE-KID LECTURE. The, "white-wash the fence-first" lecture. I immediately understood, but there was that little voice growling, "UGH! Why?"

I know, I know. You have to learn how to walk before you can run. BUT I WANT TO RUN! So, in order to overcome these thoughts, which are obstacles that only lead to frustration, I try to to clear my head, focus and TAKE IN EACH MOMENT AT A TIME. That's all I can do.


DO YOU FOCUS ON THE NOW? HOW OFTEN DO YOU LOOK TO THE HORIZON?



*Artwork of quote was done by me.