Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These


As a kid (6th - 8th grade) I would read these romance novels that I found fascinating- the "Dawn" series by VC Andrews. I would read these books all weekend long. My mom would yell at me to get out of my book to help her clean (I recently reminded her of this, laughing about it, and she was appalled considering how she used to force me to read the dictionary.)

I was recently introduce to Twilight and found myself immersed in that obsessed way needing to know how it ends. Reading so intently the way I had as a child reminded me of the dreams I had growing up.

I couldn't quite put my finger on the feeling that was emerging. I felt sad about it, and was aggravated that I could not find the words to describe it. Finally, a movie triggered the memory that had been clawing its way forward: Splash (1984) with Tom Hanks & Daryl Hannah.

I was only 5 years old when I saw this movie for the first time. I remember watching the scene where "Madison" puts salt in the bath and her mermaid tail unfurls in the water. She's interrupted by "Alan," so she tumbles onto the floor, frantically trying to dry her tail before "Alan" bursts into the bathroom.

I had the scene memorized. I ran to the bath w/ salt and acted out the scene until my mother realized I'd stolen the salt. This is when I first knew I wanted to act.

So was the spark that set me on this course. I don't know where this path will lead, but I realize now that everything I've done was leading me in this direction. I had only to open my eyes.




*This is a picture of me.