Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hyperhidrosis: Dont Sweat All Over Everyone

I have been struggling with hyperidrosis since my teens. My first memory of embarrassment was when I went to get a manicure & the manicurist told me my hands were so sweaty that I should try holding a snake while it sheds its skin. I said sure, get me a snake & let's do it! Still no snake.

My next memory is when I went to get my fingerprints taken as a requirement for the NJ Bar Exam. Its this electronic system much like a photocopier. The machine had trouble reading my prints and the technician exclaimed, "I've never seen anything like this!" Gee, thanks, guy.

My hyperhidrosis moments are a little less embarassing because I have a supportive partner & friends. Even though this sounds like a minor problem, this is how hyperhidrosis effects my life:

- Holding a childs hand
- Using tools
- Manicures
- Electronic Fingerprints
- Typing on the computer
- Holding a book
- Holding a handle bar on the
subway
- Shaking hands
- Pedicures
- Feet sliding around inside sandals
- Only wearing clothes w/ a lining
- Hardly wearing a color other than
black
- Gym clothes must be tech gear

And the list goes on and on. Well treatment is out there. I have my first dermatologist appointment next week. I'll be sure to tell you if I get a miracle cure.